History of Sheffield Transport 277 (657BWB)
227 is a Leyland Atlantean and was new in April 1962 to the Sheffield Joint Omnibus Committee or 'C' fleet as 1357 with a Waymann body.
In 1968 a fire broke out on the upper deck which destroyed the body. A new Park Royal body was then fitted in the same year.
227 ran in Sheffield
its whole life becoming number 227 when transferred to the Sheffield Transport
fleet. After withdrawal from service, 277 was modified by SYPTE and became a
driver trainer, number M120.
It was from that role that it entered preservation with the Sheffield Transport Group and was moved to the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft. Lots of hard work was put in returning 227 back into a bus which included refitting a staircase which had been removed and restoring it to its original number 1357. 277 had been a regular service vehicle at the Trolleybus Museum for a number of years until a major problem was discovered on the diff.
As funds were dwindling the Sheffield Transport Group decided to sell the vehicle on for further restoration. It is from here that it enters our collection.
The bus has had a replacement differential fitted, together with various other mechanical jobs, which has included new injectors in the Leyland 0600 engine. The bus is now back on the road, and the paint work has had a refresh (not a full repaint). The bus is now displayed in its later guise at Sheffield Transport 227.
Owner - Mr S.Barker